The Department is located in the beautiful mountains of Southwest Virginia about 50 miles South of Roanoke and 60 miles north of Bristol. The Pulaski Fire Department was organized in 1880, which was 6 years before the Town of Pulaski was formed in 1886 and was the first official Town department. The first fire equipment were hose carts pulled by the fire fighters to and from the fires. They were housed in different locations on either side of peak creek as the Town grew.
The current station was built in 1924 to house all Town fire equipment. The department later had horse drawn apparatus. The apparatus was owned by the Town but the horses were owned by private citizens. The owners were paid a fee for their horses to pull the equipment to and from the fire scene. The first motorized apparatus was purchased around 1909 with a pick up type bed for hauling hose. The Town of Pulaski later purchased a 1917 American LaFrance Chemical Pumper. Both of these vehicles are to be placed in the Town’s Museum when complete.
It is the mission of the Pulaski Fire Department to provide the Emergency and Non- Emergency Fire Services necessary to protect the lives and property of the Businesses, Industries, Citizens and Visitors of the Town of Pulaski and designated surrounding areas of Pulaski County. As well as to:
- Provide mutual aid assistance to other local Fire Departments upon request.
- Assist the Fire Marshal’s Office with Fire Prevention, Public Education and Fire cause determination.
- Strive to maintain a safe, efficient, motivated and well trained staff of Career and Volunteer personnel.
- The goal is to have 100% public satisfaction in providing these services.